Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bead Color Ideas: Iris Scarabs

Scarab Bead Embroidery

Sometimes, the most interesting colors are also the most difficult to use in beadwork. Subtle or vibrant hues, combined with the unique finishes of glass, create combinations that don’t always play well with others. Recently, I acquired a strand of lovely little Czech glass scarabs, with a metallic blue iris finish. Some have more of a coppery finish that others, but each has a wonderful combination of deep indigo blue and warm patina.

For my first scarab project, I took the easy route and combined a single bead color with black and white stripes. Not only do the two neutrals go with everything, but the combination of both in equal proportions gives an exiting backdrop for any color, no matter how tricky. Of course, I can’t use this method every time I add some iris scarabs to a project, so I went on a search for some more complex palettes for future projects.

Without a particular mood in mind, I scanned through my entire seed bead stash, looking for colors that would contrast the vibrant scarabs, or soothe them with neutrals, then mixed and matched until they looked just right.

The first color I chose is a curious blue lined matte gray. The softness of the blue, combined with the matte finish, makes it ideal for all kinds of palettes. It looks especially mysterious with the blue iris scarabs, so I added some intense-looking black lined amber to create a Desert Dusk trio.

Desert Dusk Bead Palette


Orange and purple always make for interesting combinations, so I searched for an orange that could pair well with the shimmery scarabs. In Forbidden Fruit, I combined juicy red lined topaz, and transparent emerald green. Although I like this palette, it would take some time to find just the right proportions to make all three colors work well together.

Forbidden Fruit Bead Palette


Finally, I went with some tried and true favorites. Turquoise blue complements the scarabs perfectly, and matte vanilla provides a great neutral to let both colors stand out in Horizon. A hint of antique gold would finish this palette off just right.

Horizon Bead Palette


Now the challenge is to decide which palette to use first.

Have you tackled any tricky bead colors recently?

Copyright 2013 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


5 comments:

  1. Scarabs have always been with me but the last few days I have had more people show me or tell me they are working with scarabs. Can't wait to see the rest of your finished.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably would not use a scarab, watched The Mummy a few too many times....but I love seeing the different color combinations. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mummy is one of my favorite movies. Love the camp and the costumes!

      Delete
    2. The Mummy and its sequel are both my favourite movies!!! :-D I'm glad someone else thinks like I do!

      And I just LOVE those scarabs! Its so sad that these aren't available here... (I live in Pakistan...) But I'll have to search for some other insect-like accent beads which have a similar look...

      By the way, I adore the first palette! I hope to see you create something exciting with it!

      Delete
  3. I just made a three scarabs pendant/necklace! I've had these scarabs since forever! Love your beads creations!
    http://www.inspirationrealisation.com/2013/03/diy-triple-scarab-beetle-pendant.html

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com