Monday, March 12, 2012

Two Rivoli Collars

Swarovski Elements Crystal Rivolis

Last week I worked on destashing some Swarovski rivolis, and ended up with two necklaces that are made exactly the same way, but look completely different. I had five rivolis in my stash - two Crystal Purple Haze, two jet black, and one tiny aquamarine. I’ve been holding on to them for awhile because I simply got bored with peyote bezels, and I just couldn’t find enough inspiration or motivation to make anything with them.

When I decided to try and use up at least a few of these rivolis, I wanted to try something new - no rings or pendants. The colors were too different to stitch them all together in a bracelet, so I decided to tackle them one at a time, and use each rivoli in a collar. I’ve had some success with big focals on netted collars before, and I thought these crystals would do nicely for the same job.

I started with a Crystal Purple Haze, and chose a palette of tangerine, rootbeer and purple lined Rosaline to complement the unique array of colors in the crystal. Jonquil lined aqua 15/o’s in the bezel pick up on the hints of blue and green and give everything a fun contrast.

Purple Sunlight Rivoli Collar


With the jet rivoli, I saw an opportunity to use some of my new white-hearts in bright red, so I created a palette of tribal inspired opaques. Although the only opaque 15/o’s I have are orange, I decided not to complement them with the rest of the palette, and stuck with blue, black and yellow in the collar. I love the way the white hearts look as accents in the beadwork - their unique beauty isn’t lost in among the rest of the beads.

Predictably, I got bored after two bezels, so the remaining three rivolis will have to wait their turn. If another inspiration doesn’t come along, I may end up making another collar or two, since these ones turned out so nicely!

Black Heart Rivoli Collar


What’s your favorite way to use rivolis?

Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook


5 comments:

  1. Hi:-)
    Both collars are great!Colorful and nice.
    Recently I've used lots of rivolis and can say,my favorite way of using them is in bracelets,when they are not overembellished very much.I like the way You used them in Your necklaces.I can say,I'm a little fed up with those all 'stars' and 'rosettes',with lots of crystal bicones,or rondellos and beads around rivolis.Even if they are different,each time I see them I feel really bored.Rivoli,mostly the big one,as 18 mm,even 27mm-recently I've bought such big ones:-) are so decorative on their own,so it isn't necessary to make them bezelled too much.In pendants or bracelets they are 'super stars',with their beautifully shinning cut,so we should let them play the main roles in that 'beading performance'.
    Hugs-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are gorgeous, but I LOVE the first one! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of the necklaces are beautiful, but I prefer the seconded one with the red beads. http://www.etsy.com/shop/jewelryLair/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Anything with white-heart beads is a favorite in my books, too!

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com