Friday, March 30, 2012

Olive Drop Necklace

For my most recent destash project, I tackled a pair of Czech glass pear drops that I purchased about a million years ago. I can’t say for sure why I chose to grab only two of these pretty Picasso drops, but having a pair of them seemed to stifle any inspiration I may have had for them. Apart from earrings, what sort of project could use two large red and green drops?

Picasso Pear Drops


I wanted to make sure that both of these pieces got used up, so I put everything else aside, and tried to design a necklace that would work with two drops, and still look balanced. I decided to try and construct a pendant design, with one drop above the other, using a series of loops at the end of a V-shaped St. Petersburg chain.

At first things didn’t work out the way I had hoped. The pendant section looked awkward and strange. Rather than get discouraged and scrap the whole thing, I tried adding some embellishments. With the addition of some beaded leaves, the pendant took on a whole new look, and the large loops of seed beads became stronger and more shapely.

Olive Drop Pendant


I’m so glad that these pretty beads have finally found their place!

Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


9 comments:

  1. That turned out super lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I grab odd combinations of beads like that, too, and then really wonder what I was thinking later. This is a perfect use for these two lovely beads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect solution! I just love this necklace. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely! I think that our beads often know what's best, and they hide until your creative moment is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy seeing your designs, color choices and photos.
    This design turned out lovely and a good way to use your two drop beads.
    Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a really great way to put them in a necklace. I like it. [=

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not that I ever end up using them but unless a drop is too large or too expensive I try to buy 3 of a kind so I could make a necklace/earring set. I'm not sure why I do that because I generally dislike making earrings! So actually I end up in the same spot as you with two extras...I didn't realize that until just this second haha on me. I guess I kind of push them back and think, oh, yeah, I'll make earrings later. :-) anyway beautiful solution! What a thing to dream up let alone create. I am extremely impressed with this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love this! I bet it would look great with large scarab beads too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com