Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Bracelet a Week: Trade Bead Medallions

African Christmas Bead Strands

Earlier this week I dabbled a bit with some new African Christmas beads, and made a set of tribal inspired rings. Once I got going with these little beauties, I felt ready to dive right in and make something with a little more kick.

I had already planned a new necklace design using the bigger strands, so I unstrung the smaller beads, which range in size from 11/o to 8/o. The colors are amazing, with lots of red and yellow, and plenty of striped seed beads, which are often hard to find on their own. The Bohemian quality is so inspiring, and reminds me of everything I love about beads.

Again I was reluctant to do anything too wild with these beads, since they are already so vibrant. So I paired them with up with simple black seed beads and druks. The Christmas beads are slightly irregular, and I needed a technique that would lend itself to various bead sizes. Brick stitch seemed like a great choice.

Trade Bead Medallion Bracelet

I started with a single medallion of circular brick stitch, then added two half circles to either side, and made a matching button. Regular flat brick stitch provides straps to connect everything into a simple and colorful bracelet.

I’m really head over heels for this design. I think the shapes work so well with the Christmas beads, and if I hadn’t made it about ¼ inch too large for my own wrist, I’d be keeping this one for myself.

Copyright 2011 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading


7 comments:

  1. Hi Mortira, oh my gosh that is beautiful the colors are so vibrant, i really wish i could learn to bead weave. have a godd weekend ttfn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cool resolution- a bracelet a week. Your jewelry came out beautiful. I am not into bead weaving but I do bead knitting.

    You inspired me today. May be I should have a goal to make a bracelet a week too- since I have carried it already for the last two weeks in March. Thanks Mortira.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with those beads! I love circular brick stitch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful! I love using the Christmas beads (and actually, whenever I put something in my Etsy store using them, they sell quickly, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I've never even heard of circular brick stitch. Now I have to learn it. This is just beautiful and so up my alley. Love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I'm so glad I could provide some inspiration. Circular brick stitch is definitely one of my go-to techniques. It works with just about everything, and can be used for a lot of different jewelry styles and components.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is amazing and you really capured the feel and look of a fun bracelet!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com