Friday, January 16, 2009

Vintage Flowers

The Inspiration:

While designing a beaded coin purse for my niece, my first goal was to use pink flowers. Her favorite color is pink, so anything beaded must include that prettiest of colors. After deciding on an embroidered approach, I started having visions of pink and purple flowers surrounded by rays of yellow sunlight.

The picture that formed in my mind was an eclectic garden full of bright, vibrant colors. I immediately thought of vintage cartoons, 70's album covers, and classic Sesame Street shorts. With little more than a lust for color, I set out to recreate my vision.


The Beatles- Yellow Submarine

The Beads:

I first pulled out three shades of pink from my seed bead stash. Bubble Gum AB, Opaque Hot Pink, and Galvanized Peach. Then I added a dash of Foil-lined Purple Mix and Matte Violet. For the stems I chose Matte Green, with Matte Yellow and Orange for the sunlight.

As I worked on the purse, I found myself pulling even more beads out. I wanted to add new rows of color and larger beads for texture. Some of my selections were Metallic Gold, and Opaque Yellows and Greens. The assortment of bead cups covered every inch of my workspace.


The Beadwork:

In the end, the panel turned out just as I had hoped - better, even. Each flower began with a 6o seed bead, with rounds of 10o beads moving outward. After each flower was given a stem and leaves, I set to work on creating the radiating sun beams. My goal was to include as many shades as possible, while keeping matte yellow as the main color.

After adding some green, green grass and a picot edging, the purse was complete. I was almost sorry to wrap it up! Perhaps I'll have to make another for myself.



5 comments:

  1. This one is so cute! Your niece will appreciate this purse. I'm a color lover, as you can see in my beadwoven pieces, especially the African ones. And this purse inspires me even more to use bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the purse is so lovely! I love your colour inspiration, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great inspirational post. I really enjoyed seeing where you got your inspiration from, the beads you used and the final beautiful product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool! I love where you got the inspiration from! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This purse is awesome - great job I love it

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com